Friday, February 1, 2013

Promotion on the Horizon

I recently the revised cover for my book. It had all the elements it needed and looks much better. But the color of the gem looked greenish not yellow. So I mocked up a new version and sent it to them. I don't think I'll see the cover again until I review the physical proofs. No idea when that is.

I would post a copy of the cover here but I've been told not to, at least not yet. So everyone will have to wait. Sorry.

But what that means is the publisher be starting to focus on promotion. This is the part of the process I've been waiting for because I know so little about it. I'm hoping to learn a few things on this subject in the next month or two.

Currently, my plans are meager. I made some business cards and I will make some 4 x 6 postcards too with the image of the cover one side and the back cover text on the other. These are giveaways; promotional flyers if you will that I can give to anyone.

Beyond that I'm told I need to spend tell in various online forums creating a presence. This seems to me to be the weakest part of the whole process because I've tried that and frankly who has time for such things?

I also need to think about interviews and I've got some ideas along those lines. There's a media kit to finish, a book launch, and subsequent signings, a book trailer, and my web site to update. The publisher will be helping with all of these except the web site update. I can do that myself.

I'm sure there are other things to do too but I don't know what they are yet. Hopefully I'll learn about them as the promotion goes forward.

Keep writing everyone.

No comments: