Friday, April 6, 2012

Writing is a Lonely Business

A few years back, when I decided I would finally focus on what first drew me to writing -- writing fiction, I had to make a lot of changes in my life.  At the time, I had a small web site consultant business.  I had to close it down because web site development is very labor intensive and requires a lot of mental focus.

That wasn't a hardship really because the business was not very active.  But one of the people I worked with came to me last year looking for help on a site.  I had to turn her away.  I didn't want to but I didn't want work on my novel to be interrupted either.  I set the priorities and I abided by them.

The same is true elsewhere in my life.  I've not seen friends for months because often I am busy, alone, typing at this keyboard trying to find the words I want.  Funny thing about that, however, none of my friends have come looking for me.  Well, one did.  But the rest have not.  I would have thought otherwise after months and months of isolation, someone would've noticed and reached out to me to get together.

That never happens.

And that makes me angry.  And it hurts.

I've never been someone with lots of friends.  Nor have I been very popular.  But I had thought someone would have made an effort to contact me to say hi.

Oh sure, there are lots of reasons why people don't.  They live far away.  They are busy with their own lives.  They have been meaning too but keep forgetting.  The list goes on and on.

And sure I could initiate the contact.  But I always do that.  And I'm tried of being the one to send the email or text, or place the call and make the arrangements.  I'm a natural organizer you see.  But right now, the only thing I want to organize is my writing.

So I guess I'm going to be lonely for a lot longer.  Good thing I'm well practiced at it.

2 comments:

grubertally said...

There are an excessive number of websites offering free templates for writing your own strategic strategy. However they fail to explain to the business owner the purpose, or style the strategic strategy should embrace.

accident attorney milwaukee

Rich Feitelberg said...

Okay. But that has nothing to do with my blog post. My point is I've been busy with my writing for months, I am feeling lonely now and none of my friends seem to have missed me. I expect to remain busy with my writing for some time to come so I expect to be lonely for a good long time.