Friday, December 16, 2011

Age Your Stories

I have three books in play at the moment:  the first one, Aure, the Topaz, now has a publisher ready to buy it and that is going to require some of my time to review proofs, discuss changes, work on promotions, revise my web site, etc.

The third one, Telep, the Diamond, is being written.  This is where a bulk of my effort is going now because I need to have as many books as I can drafted.  Without even a draft of a book, nothing will be going out and everything grinds to a halt.

And so the second one, Vorn, the Onyx languishes, mostly because I have no time to focus on it.  But I am not concerned about that.  The story needs to age.  Or more accurately, I need time away from it so that when I return to it, I will see it with fresh eyes.  I call this aging the story because like aging wine or cheese, aging a story let is gain a fullness, a maturity that the first draft will not have.

I've read about Stephen King's suggestion that story drafts should be put away for about six months.  That seems like a long time to me.  So I don't know if I will wait that long.  But I will wait a little while because I'm trying to figure out if Vorn works as a story.  I suppose the only way to know that is to let it out and get feedback, but I need to make sure I've done everything I can to make the story a good one first and I've not done that.  Not yet.

I recently found two of my short stories had aged over a year so I cleaned them up and released them on Smashwords because I'm pretty sure they are ready.  Please are downloading them so there is some interest.

But Vorn will sit while I work on Telep and see what the publisher wants me to do for Aure.


No comments: