Friday, April 5, 2013

The Editor's Hat

It is has been said to me that writers cannot edit their own work. And is true but only up to a point. But this I mean that when you think a story is finished, you need to have someone else review to make sure you've done your job as well as you think you have. But prior to that point a writer had better be able to toss out trite phrase and insipid dialogue or else you've got a long hard road ahead of you.

I find that I am reluctant to edit my work. Notice I didn't say revise it. I said edit it. There's a difference. Revision is just make changes. Editing is revision with the goal of improving and polishing a piece.

And it's not that I can't edit my work it's just not comfortable to do so and that's a bad place to be. If I can't take an honest look at my work than I'm on that aforementioned long hard road and that's no place I want to be because I've already been there.

The road to getting Book 1 sold was that road; returning to that point it not something I relish. And yet, I discovered I've been deluding myself about the story I just released last week. I discovered the problem after receiving some harsh comments and when I took a hard look at it I had to admit it needed a complete rewrite.

That means I did not do my job as a write and that my editing process needs a lot more work. I fell into the trap of rushing out the story without checking to make sure it was complete and well told. So I've been rewriting it this week adding more description, more action, and more character reaction.

And I really need to get back to it as there are several scenes left to write, revise, and edit.

Keep writing everyone.

No comments: