Friday, January 18, 2013

Photo Shoot

Knowing that my publisher was working on the cover to my novel and having time off last month, I decided it was time to get a few professional photos of me taken. Up till now, I had been using an image clipped from a photo taken in 2008. It's a good one but not a portrait image, which was what I was looking for.

Now as it happens, my wife is a photographer. She takes pictures for the State House and freelances in other areas. She networks like crazy to both people who want photos taken and to other photographers. One of her contacts her a photography studio so I asked her if she would take pictures of me for the cover of my book. She agreed. Then I asked her to work her network so we could use her friend's studio. She asked and we were in.

The day before the shoot I went and found the clothes to use. I wanted some casual and some formal images so I would have a variety of images to select from. The day of the shoot we went to the studio and she took the pics.

She'll tell you that I was a cry baby during the whole process but the truth is I had no idea what to do exact except sit there. I made the mistake of not eating breakfast so by the time the pictures were being snapped, my blood sugar was low and I was tired, but you can't explain that to anyone.

Regardless we got a few good images. One is being used with my social media accounts. I updated my Facebook and Twitter accounts the other day. The more formal one went to the publisher and my mother -- so she would have a nice updated image of her son. This is something mothers always want and that sons are obliged to provide.

Both images will also go into my media kit. I've still got a few holes in that but I'm going to have to wait until next month, I suspect to fill them. At that time, the publisher should be ready to start talking about the promotion of the book. I can hardly wait.

Keep writing everyone.


No comments: