After waiting three weeks to hear back from my publisher, I decided to write to them asking if they were still interested in my novel. I noted that I was expecting to hear back in two weeks per their email to me.
They replied saying yes, they are still interested and then they send me a sample contract. This has got me going on what kind of deal I might get and has my generating all kinds of questions.
For the moment, I'm not going to share these here. Later, when the deal is done or not done I will share the details so others can learn from this experience. Suffice to say, I've been searching the Internet for information and talking to other writers. One writer friend gave me lots of good advice, and I've traded email with the other writers who are published with this company. I have also marked up the contract with lots of questions I need to ask. The answer to these questions will determine if I go forward with this publisher or not.
Ironic, isn't it? Now that I found someone who wants to buy my work, I might very well say, "No, thank you."
Keep in mind also that this is publisher #2. Publisher #1 got my revised draft back in May and will not be reading it until sometime this month. At which point, they may also want it. We'll see. But I'm not counting on Publisher #1 at all. I am evaluating the contract I received on its merits and trying to determine what is fair so that when the publisher comes knocking and is ready to talk to me I can negotiate a deal or walk away. And I have to be prepared to walk away. That will really hurt since I've worked long and hard to find someone who is interested. But I can't let my work go to a publisher who doesn't care about compensating me in the manner I believe is fair. I've worked too hard. My novel, Aure, the Topaz, represents many years of writing, revision, research, and editing. I can't let it go unless the deal is right.
So I'll be sitting on my hands waiting while I burn some oil to got Book 3 completed.
What a way to start the year!