Monday, May 2, 2011

Spring is Finally Here

I went into my backyard the other days and realized winter is finally over.  The grass is green and growing.  My tulips are up.  The trees are budding or flowering, and the first leaves on rose bushes are out.  All of a sudden, spring is here.

That means yard work for me, which means less time writing.  And the yard needs a lot of attention.  Mulch needs to be put down.  Trees need pruning.  Grass needs mowing.  Compost needs turning over. Weeds need pulling.

I suppose I won't mind so much but I'm just about to sink my teeth into a final revision of Book 2 so it will be ready for release late this year or early next year.  Yard work is the last thing on my mind.

And yet... I like to do the yard work.  It takes me out of myself.  Gives me time to think.  But it also slows me down.  One reason my first novel took so long was all the yard work I was doing while I was writing it.

Case in point:  yesterday was a beautiful day here and I went out into the yard work to finish mowing it and address a few other things.  When I was doing, I had no interest in writing.  I was too hot and that didn't change later in the day.  By then I was stiff from sitting and tired too.

So I need to find a way to do both.  Or I need to remember not to take on too much while writing.  I think that's closer to the mark.  I'm always taking on new projects when I shouldn't.  I'm amazed I ever finish anything because I'm always starting new projects.

What I need is a project of just the right length, something I can complete without too much effort and that can be completed in a few hours.  But no, I always take on big projects that stretch on for days. Perhaps someday I'll learn.  But for now I think I'll restrict myself to weed pulling while writing. That's easily done and easy to stop and restart.

So Book 2, here I come...

No comments: