Friday, May 27, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

This blog turns 1 tomorrow.  I really don't believe it.  I never thought I had that much to say.

Looking back, I've learned a few things about writing fiction.  For example, if you ask for help, be sure the person you ask knows his or her stuff.  I've worked with several "editors" that weren't very good and probably caused more harm than anything, sending me off on the wrong direction.

Also, when in doubt about something, ask your fellow writers.  There are plenty of them online.  Or find a book on the subject.  I've read many and they reminded me of things I had forgotten about.

Trust your instincts unless you are sure they are wrong and then use the experience to learn from.

There are no bad ideas, but there are badly written stories.  If yours isn't working find out why and fix it.

Be sure to read, read, read and write, write, write.  This is the core of the craft and you can't improve if you don't do both.

Learn to listen to yourself.  You have something to said.  Find out what it is and express it, even if it is not what you expected.  Often the best idea is one that surprises you.

And to that end, let yourself take risks.  Suppress nothing.  If a writing experience doesn't come out well, use it to learn from and file it away.  Never delete it or throw it away.  You may want some or all of it later.

Built a good support network for yourself.  Find people who can read, critique, and review your work.

And above all enjoy your writing.  If you don't, how do you expect anyone else to?

No comments: