Monday, March 21, 2011

Does the Universe Speak to You?

Have you been in the situation when you plan an event, say going on vacation, but nothing goes right?  And it does not come off as you expected it to?  At times like this, I sometimes feel like the Universe is speaking to me trying to tell me something.  But be careful, we often hear what we want to.

For example, when I was a senior in high school, my parents decided they had to moved west to be closer to my father's job.  No one in the family wanted to do this, but that was the decision so that's what we made plans to do.

But as we got closer to the day of moving, more and more things went wrong.  The car broke down.  The house we were moving into wasn't ready.  And so on.  I was convinced that we weren't going to move because I don't want to do it.  But moving day came and we went.

I spent a day or two afterwards in disbelief because I was sure it would not happen, but it did.  So when reading the signs from the Universe you need to be sure you understand what it is trying to tell you.

Personally, I'm not sure the Universe speaks to us at all.  It is far more likely that we experience things we don't understand and in trying to make sense of them we reach conclusions that re-enforce our beliefs.  This sort of thing happens to me all the time and often my challenge is understand what is really going on.  For example, I write a story that I like and that other people I know say is good.  I submit it to a publication.  They reject it.  Why?  It is a good story and I know it.  I try again.  It is rejected again.  Again I ask why?

Often I never know why.  Often my story does not fit their publication in some way.  That does not mean my story is bad only that no one wants to purchase it for publication.

And my only reaction to that conclusion is:  it's their loss.

No comments: