Monday, February 7, 2011

Writing Advice

Every so often, people I know -- friends, family, co-workers -- give me suggestions for what I should write about.  This is usually hysterical because most of them have no idea what it takes to write -- or sell -- fiction.  These people suffer from the illusion that writing is easy.  That I snap my fingers and my stories appear well-written, edited, and formatted ready for the publisher.

Please.

The last idea I received was to write about the zany adventures of my dogs.  Now this isn't a bad idea and if I had nothing else to do I might even attempt something about them.  But the fact is I'm in the middle of writing my fantasy series.  By my estimate the entire series will be something like 2500 to 3000 pages and take years to write.  I really don't need additional work just now.

Of course, these people mean well and I know that.  I appreciate the fact that they shared their ideas with me.  But this is a case of 'thank you, but no thank you.'  I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until I'm done and then consider my next project.

That's pretty much all I can do.

No comments: