Friday, November 4, 2011

The Grand Experiment

I just finished reading On Writing by Steven King.  Great book.  One of the things it reminded me is that writers write, even when they think they are spent and their writing sucks and isn't fit to wrap fish.  Writers write.  Why?  Because that's their job; because if they don't the writing gears in their heads freeze up like cold pipes on an arctic winter morning.

There are probably other reasons too, but for me that last one is definitely true.  The more I write the better my writing is.  What I need to do is figure out a way to write first thing in the morning.  Note that by first thing, I mean after I get the dogs out to piddle and poop and I feed them, I do those stretching exercises that are good for me, and after I eat breakfast.  Although in retrospect, I suspect that eating breakfast is negotiable.

The other thing I need to do is figure out what to write.  I have my blog on Mondays and Fridays.  I suppose my novel can fill the rest of the days of the week.  But I don't think I should be writing on the weekends; I need to rest my head after all.

I think that's what went wrong this last time.  I was working on Book 3 over the weekend and I can't do that.  I need to pace myself.  Which means that if life or distractions intrude and I cannot write when I want to I forego the task.  I'm not sure I like that idea.  I'm going to have to see how the next few days go to see if that's workable.

But the important thing is I'm back in the saddle and ready to resume writing.  I have a clearer idea of how to prioritize and focus on the things that are important to me to make sure they can done.  Everything else will have to wait.  I don't know if that's workable either.  Guess it's time for the Grand Experiment: to arrange my life as I need it to be arranged so I can write regularly and steadily.

Wish me luck; I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

No comments: