Friday, September 23, 2011

Saturation Point

I never thought I'd live to see the day when I had my fill of technology.  But I think it's here or just around the corner.

I've always been something of a technology fan, mostly focusing on computer technology, since I bought my first computer, an Apple IIe, all those years ago.

What I like about it is there is always something new to learn about.  Once I had the basics down, I began focused on graphics, then networking, then the different technologies in the computer like USB and Firewire.  Most recently, its been about wireless technology and all the devices that are now proliferating like missile in an arms race.

But increasingly, as I began to drip a toe into Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.7, the new operating systems from Microsoft and Apple, I'm seeing (or hearing about) issues and problems that make me shake my head and say, 'they aren't really for prime-time yet.'

What's even more frustrating, in this age of information, when I try to find out about a problem, like corrupted Windows profiles, or report a problem, say on Apple's VoiceOver utility, I can't find a place to go.  It's like there is so much information that is clogs the way so simple requests, sort of like wet leaves in a storm drain.

It makes me want to break out my old typewriter and through away all the social media crap we are saddled with these days.  Actually, as I think about it, the last typewriter I used was my mother's.  I'd have to go buy one.  Can I still do that?  I don't remember seeing any in Staples or OfficeMax.

Maybe I can't do that.  Figures.  Just when you think you can escape, they get rid of the exit.

Sigh.  Okay.  Guess I'll go back to writing. Maybe by the time my third book is done they'll have gotten the technology right.

No comments: