Friday, January 14, 2011

Self-Publishing: you are tech support

I was asked recently in a Goodreads forum why I primarily published my novel as an eBook.  I responded saying it was for time-to-market reasons.  Getting a quality paper copy ready has taken over a month because I have to wait for Lulu to ship me proof copies.

But there was another reason I released an eBook first.  I expected mistakes creating the various electronic formats and I assumed fixing those errors would be easier than getting a paper copy ready.  Turns out I was right about that.

Now I find out that despite my testing of the Kindle version, the book has odd indents on a real Kindle viewer.  When I heard this, I decided to re-release the Kindle version.  My thinking is that the eBook is like software and this error is a bug.  So I am obligated to fix it.

I also found out that I need to make some other adjustments.  Suddenly I'm my own technical support department.  I don't mind that roll, it just took me by surprise.

But in retrospect I will not be releasing any more books exclusive in one format or another because so many people still want paper copies.  In fact one of the reasons I'm having a hard time getting reviews is because many places that review books want a paper copy.  They even say they don't review ebooks and that's all I have at the moment.

So if you plan to self-publish plan accordingly.

No comments: