Monday, January 10, 2011

Being Published

As the realities of being published settle in, one thing has become very clear: writing novels is like owning a small business.  My assumption was it would be all about writing and ideas.  That's certainly true, but there's this other part that no one seems to talk about.  The part where you go out and make appearances, promote your work, identify target audiences, and market to them.

It is very much like being in graduate school again where you living and breathe your major.  I've been so consumed with my novel over the last six weeks plans for my birthday (a few months from now) fell apart and I am constantly thinking about some aspect of my business and how to promote it.

I am reminded of my father who owned an independent drug store back before Walgreens and CVS took over.  He worked long hours overseeing his business to the point where he wasn't around much through most of my childhood. I don't have children so that part is not a concern but work-life balance is.  So I'm going to need to watch that part. (Of course, my novels *are* my children)

Another concern is I've only got one novel completed.  Many writers manage one.  The good ones turn out two, three, four, or more.  So I've got to keep going. Additionally, since I'm writing a series, I need to finish what I started or some people will never even consider my work.

And then are my short stories... I don't know when I'll have time to work on them.

But I'll manage.  Good thing I know how to walk away and ignore all this work too.  It's the only way I'm going to get any rest.

1 comment:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I wish you the best of luck. :) It's not much better with a traditional publisher, either. You've still got so much work to do. I must admit, though, that it's been a bit easier with a publisher doing a lot of the work like cover and editing and such. I wanted to keep self-publishing my novellas, but I just couldn't do both traditional and self. Like two businesses! Too much work. So I'm just sticking with the small publisher.

It seems like you're doing really well! Keep it up! :D