Friday, December 17, 2010

I Have a Hammer, Does that Make me a Carpenter?

One comment I received on my last blog post is: 'Why is a non-writer writing a book?' This person went on to observe that just because one has a camera that does not make you a photographer.

The point is well-taking.  Writing is a skill after all and even the most skilled in the craft can have difficulty expressing himself upon occasion.  And I do know people who think they can write fiction because they can string words together in an email.

Well here's a news flash.  Writing fiction is a lot more complex than writing an email.  There's plot, description, and dialogue to consider.  And let's not forget character development and interaction.  Scenes have to flow from one to the next.  And some people I know don't even pay attention to small items like spelling, grammar, or punctuation.

Of course, I've not said any of this to anyone who wants to try and write fiction because most of them can't find the time to do it and you also have to be dedicated to the task of writing to get anywhere. If I didn't spend copious amount of time on my writing I'd still be working on my first novel.

And that's a threat too.  Life is constantly thrusting diversions in my face.  It takes all my concentration to remain focused on my writing even when I don't feel like it and I am uninspired.  In some ways I begin to feel like I'm chasing a windmill.

But that's where my love of writing sustains me.  Writing is hard.  And if I didn't love the work, I wouldn't do it.  I'm sure many of my non-writer friends don't love it which is why they give up on it or don't pursue it after they realize how hard it is.


No comments: