Friday, November 9, 2012

Plot and Characters

I've trying to make some head way in Book 4 but it's been hard. The main problem is I have no clear recollection of what's in Book 3. I've been so busy with selling Book 1 and revising Book 2 -- not mention all the short stories I wrote over the summer -- that I've total spaced on Book 3.

The good news is that I can read Book 3 with fresh eyes. The bad news is it makes writing Book 4 a lot harder. I'm faced with revising one and writing the other simultaneously. Still, ideas for Book 4 are coming, if slowly.

I think another issue is I stopped novel writing for too long. It's been at six months since I put Book 3 away and writing new material is different from revising existing text. But I'll muddle through. I always do.

I have a rough plot and I know my characters. I just have to fine tune their actions with the plot in mind.  And I've already begun that process. I'm planting seeds in the beginning of the story that seem harmless but that will be needed later.

I prefer this approach. Just as I introduced the poor relationship between Iriel and her mother in Book 2 because it was important for Book 3, so now, I am laying groundwork in Book 4 for Books 6 and 7.

And I really need to get back to it. So if you'll excuse me, I've got some writing to do.

Hope you do too.

No comments: