Monday, June 13, 2011

Something Wonderful

Recently I've begun to eliminate distractions so I can focus more on my writing.  For example, the other day I turned down a freelance job to help create a web site.  A few years ago, I would have loved to take such a job, but now it is noise.  My heart isn't there any more. Likewise, I've put away most of my other  non-writing projects so I can focus on my novels and characters.

I don't know why I never did this before.  Writing is my first love.  I've said that for years.  So why has it taken so long to actually do the writing?

One answer is: with one book done and another on the way I've begun to feel it is time to put away distractions, things I've been doing for years that suck time away from writing.

But that's probably not the whole story.  I think the characters have something to do with it too.  I can feel them in my head and I can feel the story unfolding, clamoring for attention.  Additionally, I love get up in the morning now knowing that I will write, create, and add to my work in progress.

In one sense, I feel more alive than I ever have.  And yet, some parts of my life a shut down (at least for now).  But I have too many interests to pursue them all at once.  And some of them, like web site design, I've done long enough that I can put it away.

What is odd is that it feels like a semi-retirement.  I'm pretty sure that I won't do much web site design again and yet I'm too young to about retiring from anything in the usual sense of the word.  And I don't think I will ever fully retire.  I plan to keep writing until something stops me.  But the burden of some things I am putting down and discovering how much better my life is.

It's wonderful.

No comments: