Monday, July 26, 2010

What Do I Do Now?

I think I goofed. I submitted my novel to a small press that takes months to return a decision. I think I should have waited to send it to them. Even though they accept multiple submissions, many others don't and the other small presses turn around their submissions faster. I could have gone to one of them and if I was rejected still have submitted to the current small press that selected.

In the words of Charlie Brown, Rats! Oh well, guess I'll wait a month or so and see if I get a response. In the meantime, I have a few short stories to finish and the second book in the series. Giving some depth to my publishing history would not hurt and would help me sell the novel 1 if I get a rejection.

I could also spend some time broadening my audience. The number of followers that are reading my blog is growing, so I assume I am reaching some number of people, striking some kind of chord with those reading my posts but am I reaching the audience for my novel? I doubt it. Fantasy readers aren't likely to read a blog by someone who is unknown in those circles. Perhaps after I sell a few books they might, but not now. And I'm not sure how to reach them either without a published book to point to. Hmmm. This requires more thought.

What else can I do? I have some books on writing to read. I like to do this every so often. It helps me rethink my writing and my processes. But I don't think I'm ready to do that now, however. Of course, there are other books, fantasy novels and other books that are waiting for my attention. I could read one or more of those.

Or I could forget about writing for awhile and focus on other projects. My house, my yard, my DVD collection, all could use some attention. I'm not likely to do that but it is worth considering, if only to be fair and to examine the issue from all sides.

May I'll work on the web site for my book. No, I can't do that without an ISBN number and cover art. I have neither.

Maybe some poetry. Maybe. We'll see.

No comments: