Friday, July 6, 2012

Stepping back

I received the edits on my first novel.  They weren't anything I can't live with and in some case I've rejected the edit.  My rule on this is: if it changes the meaning, the edit is bad.  That said, that doesn't mean some sort of revision isn't in order.  Often editors know that they original text needs changing but their attempt to do so misses the mark.  That's okay.  They are editors, not writers.  They don't have my vision for the story.  But if I see their intent, I can often revise my text to include their suggestion.

And so when I read book 1 it is clearly well written with a polish I like.  But when I read book 2 my reaction is to go look for some glossy paint.  The book does not yet give the same reaction.  I'm not sure why, so I'm stepping back and revising the book again.

Not that I finished the last revision.  I haven't but what's the point of that?  The book needs something.  I think I need to more clearly dramatize the scenes.  Or maybe it is the scenes themselves.  Or the writing isn't flowing or all the above.  I'll figure it out.  I just wish I hadn't spent three months on the last revision without realizing this.

And to be fair it is not the whole book. At least I don't think so.  I suppose it might be.  Hmmm.

Regardless, I'll put on my revision goggles and start hacking away at the thing.

No comments: