Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Book Promotion

I've been looking at book promotion, how it works, and what I need to do to sell more books. Let me pause here to say that so far, according to my publisher, my novel isn't selling. Certainly not enough to justify the money they spent on it. I'm sure their other books are in the same situation which is why they are getting out of the business.

So now that I know my book sales are crappy, I'm trying to change that. So I've begun to research how to promote my book. The advice I've received and is contradictory. I'm suppose to guest blog, and post in forums, and engage members of my audience with interesting conversations. All this work so that my name is out there and recognized.

While I agree name recognition would help me, I don't think that's the way to get it. Not for a book of fiction. For non-fiction that might work because you can pretend to be an authority on the subject of your book, but fiction is different.

For fiction, you need to convince the reader that you can write well and tell a story. That's what fiction is all about. That's why my short stories have been free for months. But that hasn't help me sell books because I don't think the readers of the stories are making the connection with the novel or want to shell out real money for reading material.

Of course, it may also be true that my readers have no money. They may be 15 to 25, ages where you have no income or money is really tight. So I need a different strategy to spark the interest of readers. And to do this, I'm going after book reviews. That's the usual way people know a book is good. Perhaps that will caught someone's interest and they will buy a copy. I hope so.

And on the off chance I've already piqued your interest, you can find information about my novel, Aure the Topaz, on my website, http://feitelberg.net/aglaril/

No comments: