Sunday, February 2, 2014

Year Ending

I got a report from Smashwords about the activity on all my stories for 2013. It turns out that people have been quite busy snatching up my work at Barnes & Noble. I have a similar report from Amazon. The bottom line on all this is I had a good year in 2013. On average I had from 1 to 2 reads a day for all my work. But because the stories are free that's a few hundred dollars that aren't in my pocket.

So why don't I charge 99 cents for them? Because the stories that aren't free aren't moving. No one wants to read them. Besides the purpose of giving away the stories right now is to get people familiar with my work. Hopefully they will look for more information about me (my web site address is in each story) or search for other work by me and find that my novel is available.

I was supposed to have numbers from my publisher too but that didn't happen so I'm going to ask to get a hint at how my novel is selling.

Meanwhile I continue to release a story a month and these of these is getting a lot of attention. The story I released in December has over 150 downloads now, the story from last month hit 100 downloads, and this month's story had 25 downloads in a day. Those are good numbers.  It means people like what they are finding and coming back for more.

Hopefully this also means that they are looking for other work, finding my novel, and buying it.

And speaking of my novel, I finally got my first reviews. Two 4-star reviews to be precise in Amazon. I have copied them to my web site as well.

A volume of poetry looks more and more likely this year and Book 5 is up to 6000 words in a month. At that rate I might be done with it by October or November.

Keep writing everyone.

No comments: