Sunday, January 5, 2014

Things Change and Stay the Same

It's 2014. As such, I am starting up all my next novel, just as I have for the last few years. At the same time, I am continuing to work on some short stories. I've put my poetry away for now. It needs to a cool dark space where it can rest and mature -- although I've got a few strangling poems to complete.

Nothing new there. But to this mix I'm going to start attending local fantasy conventions and writer events to network and learn about these events. Since I've only got the one novel, I'm not going to try to get dealer space -- not yet -- but I will be networking.

And on that front, I got an event coming in April at my local library and it appears that I've got my book into a fantasy gaming bookstore in Cambridge with the help of a friend. The store will buy the books from me and I, of course, will get them from my publisher at a significant discount. Without said discount, even this would be a losing proposition.

So things change and the stay the same, which is how life is, of course. What remains up in the air is how my first novel is doing in the market. It appears to be selling -- if slowly. Its fate determines what I do about Book 2 which is in final revision now. What is also unclear is how much networking will help me. I know from past job searches that not all networking is equal. Some events are better than others. Nor do I know when my first poetry collection will be ready. It could be this year. But it could be next year. Or the year after that.

In a similar vein, now that I've got over ten stories out on Smashwords, I've begun to group them by genre. Currently, I've got a collection of fantasy stories, a few horror stories, and one science-fiction story. When I get enough stories in a specific genre, my plan is to publish it as a book and remove the individual stories, much the way I'm handling my poetry. What constitutes "enough stories" will depend on word count I suspect.

And those are my plans. It will be interesting to see how the year unfolds, what I accomplish, and what gets push into 2015.

Happy New Year everyone and keep writing.

No comments: