Sunday, June 6, 2010

Oh no! Not Another Blog.

That's right, Virginia. Another blog. And worse still, another blog on writing. What can I say? I'm a writer; it is only natural that I write about the thing that has kept me going for 25 years.

I should also say that I don't want to write a blog. But as someone who aspires to be published, I've come to understand that I need to grow an audience. This will help me sell my work. Of course, at the same time, I can inform and educate my peers which certainly appeals to me as I've been writing informationally for most of my writing career.

So I am stuck writing once or twice a week on topics related to writing. You, of course, are not. If are free to leave and never return. I hope you won't however. I hope you'll find something in here worth reading and, if I'm lucky, sharing.

Now for the shameless plug part: if you do find something of value here, please recommend the blog to others. Obviously I have no way to know if you do or not. But I would be doing myself a disservice if I didn't ask. I won't ask again. Promise. (I'd add Scout's Honor except I was never a Boy Scout, only a Cub Scout and then only for one year; the writing fever had grabbed me by then).

You will also find me on Facebook and on Twitter for the same reasons I have a blog. In fact, I've set up the blog to automatically post on Twitter  and Facebook so that anyone following me in any of these services can see the blog, effectively extending my reach.

So let me tell you a little about myself: I'm a city boy born and raised in the eastern Massachusetts. I discovered my love for writing at the tender age of 9 but didn't write my first tale until I was 11. 

I had lots of ideas for stories as an adolescent; none of them will every see the light of day because they were all pretty silly. I studied writing in college, both under-graduate and post-graduate and it was only within the last few years that I suddenly realized I had the material I needed to write fantasy stories.

I had developing ideas in a fantasy setting for years. Some of it comes from the role-playing I did in college and some of it coming from reading the works of fantasy masters. The ideas for my fantasy world were building during this time and I was collecting them, drawing maps, day-dreaming about possible adventures for years and years and years.

And then the bubble burst and I realized I should write stories in that setting. So I did. The early draft was really only an outline (a 1000 page outline). The current telling divides the story into seven books. Book 1 covers only the first chapter of the original tale. Somehow I managed to take 40 or 50 pages and make a 250-page novel out of it.

And that brings me to the present. I'm now finishing up my first book and working on some short stories too.

Till next time, thanks for stopping by.

No comments: