Friday, May 28, 2010

It's an Uphill Climb, Isn't it?

As my work on my first novel draws to close, I've begun to look at the options for publication. One of the things I discovered was that even if I can sell the book to a publishing house, there's a good chance I'll still need to promote it myself because money is tight and, as I understand it, many houses aren't promoting first-time authors as much.

That said, it seems to me that I need to be novelist, marketing guru, artist, web designer, cinematographer, podcaster, blogger, and several other roles, just to push get my work seen. Seems like an uphill climb to me. Seems like I'll never have time for the next book if I want to promote the first one.

 And yet...

 I am a web designer and I've can probably create a podcast of the work too. There are several other things I can do easily. But art work for the web site and the marketing spin are not among them. I'll need assistance there. Guess it's time to network.

No comments: